Sunday, July 17, 2011

Almost 40

Another year has come and gone.  It seems the older I get, the faster they come.  When I turned 30, it was pretty easy.  Just another year.  I had just had my second baby girl and I had felt on top of the world.  Now, nine years later as I come closer to 40, I find that it is a little bit more difficult to take. WOW!  I always thought 40 sounded so far away, but as I come closer to it, I find out how fast life really can come racing past us.  I have noticed how we can go through our day to day events of our lives and sometimes forget to breath. 

I decided to look back and see what happened the year I was born.  Turns out tons.  First of all the average cost of a home in America was about $27,000 and gas was .55 a gallon. 

In history, five white house operatives were arrested for burglarizing the offices of the Democratic National Committee which was the start of the Watergate Scandal and Pres. Richard Nixon orders the start for the space shuttle program.  Movies that were popular were The Godfather and Fiddler on the Roof.  TV shows that were popular were Sesame Street, The Brady Bunch, Hawaii Five-O, and The Price is Right first premiered on CBS.  Music that most loved came from artists such as ABBA, The Eagles, Simon and Garfunkel, Don McLean, Elton John, and Led Zeppelin.  HBO was first launched, digital watches were introduced and you could buy the first hand held scientific calculator for $395.  The Volkswagen Beetle was the most popular car sold and Atari kicks off with the first generation of video games with the release of PONG which became the start of the video game craze, and the first call with a cell phone was made in New York. 

Now here in the present I have learned many things.  Patience for one.  Now don't get me wrong.  I still have a lot more to learn about patience, but after having three children growing up before my eyes can blink, an awesome husband, a live in mother-in-law, a dog that I still can't figure out became a part of our household, church callings, great friends who put up with my crazy thoughts and theories, and of course just me being me, I think I have made leaps and bounds.  I have much to be grateful for.  I often tell my kids that I am 25 again and they proceed to tell everyone just how old I really am.  Well, I am here to say, "40, here I come!" 'cause in the grand scheme, it really is not that old. 

2 comments:

hope said...

Wow, I had to catch up there a bit! Camp looks FUN. And Happy Birthday!! You don't look 39! And you show the energy of a teenager yourself sometimes! It's hard to think that when I turn 39 I will already have a son in the mission field and almost done with the kid part of my life.... WEIRD! You really got me to thinking. Thanks! ;) I hope your birthday was a special day!!

Emily H. said...

Happy Birthday chickee! You sooo look like your 31 or 32 so bravo to you lady! Yes, 40 isn't old at all considering we're going to live till we're 90. I hope you had a great bday- you're fantastic!