Thursday, April 12, 2012

Playing catch-up, yet again.

It seems like lately I am always playing catch-up with the family blog.  At the beginning, I blogged just about anything I could, but I find now that I tend to get busy and I don't think about it.  So I had some time and I decided that I would play catch-up.

First -up, Destination Imagination.  I have talked a bit about Destination Imagination or for short, DI.  It is an after-school activity that involves kids on a team using their imagination to solve various problems or challenges that are given to them.  They have one challenge they work on all year long and then on tournament day they have an instant challenge that they have to do as well.  Both Megan and Emilee are involved with this.  They are on different teams though.  Megan's team is called the Green Glossy Gummy Bears and Emilee's team is called the Rabid Squirrels.  I am actually the team manager over Emilee's team.  Let's just say, it's not my favorite thing, but as teams go, this one has definitely come along way.  Well, they had their first tournament about a month ago.  In the tournament, they take the top three teams in each challenge and grade level and then those teams compete against other teams in the whole state of Alabama.  (Megan and Emilee are not only in different challenges, but they are also in different levels)  Well, Megan's team came in first and Emilee's team came in second.  Both teams were fantastic and worked really hard.


They then go on to compete against the whole state of Alabama, which is this weekend at UAH.  There, they will take the first place team in each challenge and grade level and from there,  they compete against teams around the world in Knoxville, TN at the end of May.  Teams come from US, China, Canada, Korea, England, and many other places. It is quite the experience, but even so, I will be glad when it is over.  It has been very stressful for me.

OK, up next....Davis cousins visit us here in Alabama.  My youngest brother Darin called one day and asked how I felt about them coming to Alabama for a visit.  They wanted to come for their Spring Break which was the week after ours.  We all thought that sounded great.  We did a few things together and then Darin took his wife Betty Jo to the Smokey's for an anniversary trip for a few days while the kids stayed here.  Now let me tell ya, it was quite the adventure while they were gone.  The kids did great, don't get me wrong about that, but I had a little taste of what it would be like with a huge family.  Seven kids all together, Jeremy was gone on TDY for those few days that they were gone and at night time, I was very tired.  Just dinner time itself was exhausting.  I have to give all you guys with big families props.  You are fantastic.  Since my kids were at school in the day time, I tried to keep Darin's kids busy until mine got home.  We went to the Space and Rocket Center (though Darin was still here with that), took them to the Children's Museum, Kid's Kingdom a couple of times, and Constitution Village.  I think they had fun.  When Darin got back he made us all a great dinner in which I really need to call and get the recipe for.  He started it the night before in the crock pot and it cooked all day long the next day.  It was very good.
Before Darin and Betty Jo left, we took them to Green Mountain Lake and walked around the trails.  As you can see, it happened to be St. Patrick's day which is why everyone seems to dressed in green.  Jeremy then took Hunter and Darin and his son Trevor to a Monster Truck show that night, while I took Betty Jo and  her three girls to Bridge Street to eat ice cream and enjoy some of the music being played down there.  I think we all had a great time.

I guess that brings us to Easter.  Not much to tell about Easter.  The bunny definitely came.  I had to get a few things the evening before and I had to laugh because when I got home, the kids were in bed and I found this note out with some carrots and ranch for the Easter Bunny.  Easter morning, they were gone except for one carrot.  Go figure.  Emilee was very excited about that.  The kids woke up early of course, the Easter Bunny had left them an Easter Egg Hunt in the living room and family  room.  They found all their eggs with prizes inside.  We all got ready for church in our new Easter clothes and when we got home, we had a great Easter dinner.  It was a very nice relaxing day.

I believe that brings us to now.  Our next DI tournament is this weekend, the days are beautiful so we might have some camping going on and soon, birthdays are coming yet again.  If you remember all three kids in the same week, plus Hunter turns eight this year, so that means a baptism as well.  We have some busy times coming up and hopefully I won't have to play catch-up too much.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Yeah! I'm a random blogger now too. It's hard. I love the new Easter clothes. They looks so fabulous. And I'm bummed my kids forget the carrots and dressing.