Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Along comes Mr. Alligator....SNAP!

When Joanna got here to good old Alabama, Jeremy decided her first day out, she needed some good Cajun food. He had been here before, but wanted us to go as well. We left the kids at home and went to lunch. So, Jeremy decided to be adventuresome and ordered Fried Alligator. (I think he was just showing off) Now the meat is taken from the tail. Now, can you believe it? I tried it. Me, little Ms. Picky. I don't think I liked it very much. It tasted a little too fishy for me. Jeremy and Joanna both thought it tasted like pork from the swamp. They both decided that they liked it. I think next time, I will just stick with the chicken.


Joanna and I drove down to Florence, AL and visited the birthplace and home of Helen Keller. I learned some things I didn't know before. She accomplished a lot with the disability she had. She learned how to overcome her weaknesses and made them strengths. I also found the lady that was her teacher. She started teaching Helen at age 2o and stayed with her for 49 years until she died.

Here Joanna at the water pump where Helen learned that letters made up words and meant something. The first word she learned was water. It clicked for her that day and she learned 30 more words that day and 300 more words that week.

These falls were in a park that was down the street from the Keller House. We thought they were very pretty and stopped to take a picture. Here I am with Joanna.




1 comment:

Karena said...

Sounds like you had a fun time.
I think we all could learn from Helen Keller. I don't think I would be as dedicated if I was blind!