Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Destin, Florida

This past week, Jeremy and I were able to get away and spend some time with each other. The last time that we went on a trip together was when Hunter was about 7 months old. He is five now. (besides going to LV, and that doesn't count, Jeremy was in a conference for work all week) Our destination was Destin, Florida. This is at the border of Alabama and Florida. (the pan handle) We were in the Gulf of Mexico waters. Jeremy says sometimes this is known as the "Redneck Rivera".
The beaches are very pretty in Destin. There is beautiful white sand everywhere and it is very soft. The water was nice. Not to cold and not to warm. The one thing I didn't like was the humidity. It is very very humid. Thank goodness for the breeze from the waters, otherwise it would be awful.
We got to do a few activities. Most activities seemed very expensive, but as we were conservative, we chose a couple that we thought we would enjoy. One was a Sunset Cruise. For 2 hours while the sun set, we were able to ride on a boat, look for dolphins, and enjoy other people, while watching the sun set on the waters. We had a nice relaxing time. One of the pics above is my glasses that fell onto the front slant of the boat and were out of reach. It was a little funny 'cause I thought they were gone for sure, especially while going over the waves of the ocean. Most were concerned that saw them and I assured them I wasn't too worried 'cause I always get my sunglasses at the $1 store since I lose them all the time. They never fell off and I was able to retrieve them at the end. Someone mentioned that if they were $300 glasses, they would have been in the water for sure. I probably would agree with that.
We also had the opportunity to go Deep Sea fishing. Jeremy loves to fish, so this was an exciting time for him as he has never fished in the ocean. ( only lakes) It started out great. The weather was perfect. It took about 1 1/2 hours to boat out there. I caught about 5 fish, all Red Snappers. Three were thrown back into the waters for not being big enough, though I thought they were pretty big. Jeremy caught a few as well. It was hard work reeling those fish in. With the weight of the pole, the weight attached to the line, and the fish, I have to say was hard work. I had enough and left Jeremy to his fun. Well, I guess with the motion of the boat while it was not going, the smell of the fish around me, the guts, and the squid bait, I was feeling very nauseated and sea sick. Not fun for me. I was looking forward to when it was time to go back. When the boat started up again, it took about 45 min. and I was feeling much better. The whole excursion took about 6 1/2 hours. It was an experience, but I think next time, I will just hang on the beach.
One of the restaurants that we went to was called "Fuddpuckers". It was kind of an interesting place. It was right in the middle of what was called "Gator Beach". This is where you could feed the alligators and hold them if you want. (for a price). I decided to look at them from a far. Jeremy wanted to hold them, but it cost $10 to do that and we just didn't think it was worth it. We had a good time looking at them while they basked themselves in the sun instead.
All in all, we had a very nice time together. It was good to spend some time with one another and to leave the kids at home for a few days. Sometimes you need that. The beaches were beautiful and we definitely had some fun experience.



1 comment:

Karena said...

Sounds like you both had a very quiet and enjoyable time!