Monday, July 26, 2010

Elizabethtown, KY...Much Needed Getaway

For the past year I have been telling Jeremy that I need a vacation all by myself.  No kids, no husband, just me.  Well, I finally got it.  I just wanted time to relax, not worry, and just have time for me.  When I told others about where I was going, most said, "Elizabethtown.  What's in Elizabethtown and why did you choose it?"  Well, I learned about Elizabethtown last year when we took Megan up to Lexington.  It just seemed like a small community with a lovely name.  When we took Emilee up to Lexington this year, I was reminded of Elizabethtown again and thought, that is where I want to spend my few days.  It was small enough not to get distracted by too much to see and close enough to the big city, if I wanted to venture I could.  So off I went and let me tell you.  It was wonderful.  When I first got to the hotel, I lied down on the bed and looked up at the ceiling for about 30 min, just enjoying the silence.  For the most part, I read, watched a few movies, slept, saw a few of the quaint little sites to see in Elizabethtown, and I even went shopping,.... and I did venture to the big city of Louisville.
This was a cute little walking tour that I did in the center of Elizabethtown's little downtown area.  They had characters dressed up as we visited each one on this fun walking tour through the downtown area.  They told us the story about themselves and their role in Elizabethtown and their mark on American history .  We got to go in houses along the main street and pretend we went back in time.  We met people like Pres. Lincoln's sister-in-law and Pres. Buchanann.  Each person we met was a real person from the past and it was kind of cool to hear all about their stories.


The day before I came home, I went up to Louisville.  It is about 35 min. away from Elizabethtown and it is a huge city.  I went to Cheesecake Factory, shopped a little, and went to the downtown area of the city.  Now, I am not a fan of baseball at all.  But, when you are right next to where they make the "Louisville Slugger"  baseball bats and you see a huge Louisville Slugger bat off the road, you stop and take a picture.  I wish I could have gone inside, but it had just closed when I got there.  Oh, another time.  I also enjoyed "Fourth Street Live".  This is an area on the street where cars cannot go into.  It is mostly bars throughout, but they have some other things as well.  They usually have some bands playing.  Now, of course I didn't participate in any of the bar scene, but I did enjoy my Wendy's Frosty and listened to some music.  Of course, my luck, it was a country band.  I hung out a bit, but then I headed into Border's books, and finally back to Elizabethtown.  Now, as much as I enjoyed my "alone time", this would have been a place to go with others.  Lots and lots to see and that would have been fun with Jeremy or some great girlfriends.  Maybe another time.  It was a good trip.  I highly reccommend it.  We each need some good alone quiet time in our lives.

1 comment:

hope said...

Glad you got away and had fun!!! Looks like you had a great time!