Saturday, September 6, 2008

Constitution Village


Today we had the opportunity to go to Constitution Village in Downtown Huntsville. We purchased an annual pass sometime ago that includes the children's museum (plus others around the country), the train depot, and constitution village. We go to the children's museum and the train depot all the time, but this was our first visit to constitution village. This place is the history where the cabinet shop stands in which the delegates stood to sign the Alabama State Constitution in 1819. AL was the 22ND state in the US. It is set up a little like Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. We had a good time learning about how life was back then. The kids learned how things were built both from the cabinet shop and the blacksmith. They learned about the first post office and library here in Huntsville. They learned how clothes were made from cotton, and how food was made. It was very interesting. This picture is of an exact replica of the liberty bell, down to the one missed spelled word. Penn. is spelled with one N instead of two N's on the liberty bell. I never knew that. I made up a slide show of the days events. Have a look. Sorry the pictures are not that great. For some strange reason, I forgot my camera and so I used the camera from my cell phone. Sometime we will go back and I will take better pictures, but this will have to do for now. I will tell you one thing, things are so much easier now. They were definitely hard workers back then. I am amazed though the engineering ideas they came up with to make things just a little more easier. Very clever they were and smart. Wouldn't they be amazed how we took those ideas to what we now have.

4 comments:

Karena said...

I think that it is a cool picture!
Sure looks like you had a great time. It is fun to hang out as a family at new sites.

Sherri said...

Julee,
It looks like a fun day! The kids are growing so much. Thanks for the blog idea. We are all having fun keeping up with each other. Tell everyone hi and we miss you guys.
Sherri

Udyclan said...

Hey this is the Udy's saying Hello and I am glad you got Derrick's e mail. I have put you guys on my blog so I can go and visit you guys and you beautiful family. Hope we can stay in touch, Derrick and I would areally like that. Thanks, Heather Udy

The Gonzalez Family said...

Jeremy, how are you?This is Gerard from Las Vegas. I have been looking for you. Contact me at ggglv@cox.net.