Saturday, May 23, 2009

72 hour kits / Emergency Essentials Enrichment

So, our last enrichment was on the 16th of May. We had an all day Super Saturday food storage/emergency essentials day. Now, this wasn't a day where you went from class to class learning about how to do your food storage. It was more about Hands on learning. We had several activities to do. One was making a no-rise 90 min. bread. They actually grounded the wheat, and mixed the ingredients, baked, and took their loaf home with them. We also dehydrated fruit leather using apple sauce and jello mix. Some were able to bring their bulk items and they used the canner and the Mylar sealer. We had an activity where they made fudge from pinto beans.( I know, it sounds really gross, but actually it is quite yummy. It must be good if I like it because I am so picky with stuff like that.) We had a class where they made can rotators out of card board boxes. It is a pretty clever contraption. Finally we put together 72 hour kits. This was my activity I prepared. It was very time consuming. The picture above is all the food and items I had stacked in my living room, ready to take to the church. I had no idea when I took that activity to do that there would be so many kits sign-up for. Most, liked the idea, cause then they could do it at enrichment and it was done. It was quite the chore to get all the stuff. Wal-mart customers thought I was crazy with the 159 tuna packages and 159 cups of soup mix. I got quite the looks from many who saw my cart packed mile high. Even at Sam's club, where people buy bulk all the time, gave me the looks. Cashiers would ask, what is all this for. We would explain about 72 hour kits and the church. All thought what a great idea and felt motivated to make their own kit. See, we even did a little missionary work with the preparations. Here are the items I included in each kit: 6 bottles water, 3 oatmeal packets, 3 hot chocolate packets, 3 granola bars, 3 cans of fruit, 3 tuna packets, 3 Ritz crackers packets, 3 cup-of-soups, 3 juice pouches, 1 jar of peanut butter, raisins and crasins, 1 roll of lifesavers, 1 package of gum, 1 poncho, 1 thermal blanket, no battery flashlight, 2 light sticks, 1 sm. first-aid kit, lighter, hand sanitizer and hand sanitizer wipes, plastic utensils, 1 roll of toilet paper, wet wipes, and a whistle. We put it all in an orange 5 gallon bucket w/ lid from Home Depot. We also had a table of food people brought from recipes from a particular food storage recipe book that my enrichment leader had. People could sign-up to order the book if they wanted. The food was good. I was pleasantly surprised. Well, that was our day. It was a good day, but I was glad it was over.

1 comment:

Karena said...

So much to do in one activity!
Food storage is always a great idea!