Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hawaii--Island of Oahu

Jeremy has to travel a lot for work.  Most of the time, he travels around the southern states such as, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi.  He often volunteers for places that nobody wants to go, like St. Louis, Missouri in the winter.  Other times he has to go to places like Texas, Philadelphia, Virginia, and once he even had to go to LA for a bit.  I sometimes go with him.  Not too often, but every once in awhile I do.  Well, this time it was Hawaii.  Wow!  Now isn't that something??  Well, I just couldn't let him suffer in the tropics by himself.  I had to go with him.  We went ahead and went a few days earlier so Jeremy could see some sights before he had to work.  Then I was off by myself, enjoying the warmth of the island.  So, while everyone in Alabama was shoveling the snow, I was reading a book on the beach. 

I had a good time.  And even though Jeremy had to work most of the time, I think he had some fun as well.  So the next few posts, I thought I would put in some things that I got to see and do.  I even learned a few things and that is always good when you go on vacation. 

Jeremy loves to go to swap meets or flea markets.  I hate them, but I figured since Jeremy only had a few days, I wouldn't fight him too much on this and we would go to Oahu's largest swap meet.  Great right.  I go all the way to Hawaii to attend a swap meet.  Well, it wasn't the kind of swap meet that Jeremy likes.  It was all the souvenir things that you can buy in Waikiki but tons cheaper.  So, I had a good time, but Jeremy was a little disappointed.  What was cool though about where this swap meet was is that it was very close to Pearl Harbor, so we got to go.  We learned some things about why the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and we also were able to see the USS Arizona underneath the water.  It was a time to pander and to contimplate.  As I listened to the movie before we went to the memorial, I thought how we are still fighting the same fight just with someone else.  It was a very humbling experience.
I am not always one to take pictures of too many landscapes and such.  I often like to have people in my pictures, but I found myself in awe of all the different forms of nature to be seen.  I couldn't help myself, but snap pictures of all the interesting plants and animals.  Here are some of the things that I took pictures of.  Through the next few posts I will put more of the beautiful forms of nature that I saw. 

No comments: