Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hawaii---Last Days

All good things must come to an end.  Though I think Jeremy was glad.  He worked 10 hour days while I played. (Though isn't that how it should be??)  Our airplane wasn't leaving until Saturday evening so we had planned to rent a car and go to the other side of the island and just drive around and see what we could see.  We wanted to see North Shore, look at some falls, see the temple, and just look at the scenery of Oahu.   
 Before we left for Hawaii, we thought on that last day we might attend a session at the temple.  There just wasn't enough time, but we did go visit, walk around the grounds, and check out the visitor center.  We chatted with the sister missionaries for a bit and learned some neat things about this temple. I love this statue of Lehi and Joseph.  I pretty much love all these kinds of statues, but I really liked this one.   A few days before, Jeremy had to do some work on the big island and he was right near the temple there so he walked around it as well, took some pictures of it and some of the water shores.  (He said, because of the still active volcano, the shore is mostly lava rock.  Not suitable beach like, but still pretty.  He took pics of that to.  They are down below.)
 Waimea Falls is more like a park with many different trails to hike.  If we would have had more time, I would have liked to hike more of the trails, but the falls were very nice.  I also would have liked to hike other falls that were farther away, but that will have to be saved for another time.  (I might be putting my hopes up on that one.)  We saw all the people swimming around them and thought that our kids would really have liked to do that.
 So many people, including the lady that Jeremy was working with for the week, had told us to go to the Dole Plantation.  We couldn't figure out what the big deal of that would be.  Well, we had a little time before we had to go to the airport and it was on the way, so we decided to stop.  You can ride the pineapple express and go through the largest maze, but all those things like everything else cost and we just didn't feel like spending the money on it.  You could look around the grounds though and drive by all the pineapples and purchase the most yummiest pineapple ice cream.  It tasted it a little like sherbet, but very creamy. 
I never thought I would be able to go to Hawaii.  I always wanted to.  I remember when I was little, my parents went with my brother and sister-in-law.  I begged to go and when they got back, I begged for us all to go again.  My dad had brought back this coconut bank and said we shall save money for us to go.  Well.  I am 38 and I think if he found that bank it would still be empty.  Funny though, Megan begged just like me and those pineapples that you eat ice cream out of, they are banks as well.  Guess what??  I told her the same thing.  LOL!  I don't know if we will ever be able to go back.  I would really like to see some of the other islands.  I have heard such wonderful things about them.  Maybe someday.  In the meantime, I will be grateful for this trip and glad I enjoyed it like I did.

No comments: